Monday, May 11, 2009

What's the name of this poem by Anna Akhmatova? and know of any others by her?

I said to my friends:


"There is plenty of grief, so little joy.'


And I left, covering my face;


I lost the ring.


My friends said:


"We looked everywhere for the ring,


on the sandy shore,


and among pines near the small clearing."


One more daring than the rest


caught up with me on the tree-lined drive


and tried to convince me


to wait for the close of day.


The advice astonished me


and I grew angry with my friend


because his eyes were full of sympathy:


"And what do I need you for?


You can only laugh,


boast in front of the others


and bring flowers."


I told them all to go away.





and know of any other good ones?


thanksss. %26lt;3

What's the name of this poem by Anna Akhmatova? and know of any others by her?
Along the Hard Crest of the Snowdrift


by Anna Akhmatova (1889-1966)





Along the hard crest of the snowdrift


to my white, mysterious house,


both of us quiet now,


keeping silent as we walk.


And sweeter than any song


this dream we now complete--


the trembling of branches we brush against


the soft ringing of your spurs.





Translated from the Russian by Jane Kenyon





A wonderful video: Anna Akhmatova: Fear %26amp; The Muse


Starring: Claire Bloom, Christopher Reeve Director: Jill Janows Rating NR





Some good sites on Anna (with Russian translations in some):see below
Reply:http://www.poetryloverspage.com/poets/ak...


This web page has an indexed list of her poems you can read as well as some info about her life.


No comments:

Post a Comment